Friday, December 28, 2012

FCC Warns Public about Sharp Rise in Theft of Wireless Devices, Offers Tips

MPSC: FCC Warns Public about Sharp Rise in Theft of Wireless Devices, Offers Tips
Noting that over 5,000 wireless devices were reported stolen in Michigan this year, the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) today highlighted the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) consumer guide ( that provides tips on how to safeguard against wireless theft, how to protect data on cell phones, and what to do if a wireless device is stolen.
"The popularity of wireless devices continues to grow at a rapid pace," noted MPSC Chairman John D. Quackenbush. "The Commission encourages customers to take a moment to protect themselves against theft by following the helpful tips provided out by the FCC."
The FCC announced the PROTECT Initiative ( earlier this year to combat cell phone theft. It consists of establishing a national database – scheduled to launch in late 2013 – to track stolen phones; putting in place automatic prompts on smartphones and tablets for consumers to set up passwords and take steps to secure their devices; and launching a public education campaign to urge customers to use applications to increase security and reduce the value of stolen devices.
In addition, many wireless companies are aiming to implement their own databases by the end of 2012 to prevent stolen smartphones from being reactivated.

CTIA -The Wireless Association has developed a public service announcement on "The Five Stages of Losing a Smartphone (" to remind wireless customers to use the features on their smartphones to remote lock, track and wipe, if the devices are lost or stolen.
Filing Consumer Complaints
Consumers are encouraged to first contact their utility company to discuss billing or service issues. If a resolution cannot be reached, the MPSC assists Michigan customers with their electric, natural gas, telecom or video/cable complaints.
The Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) provides several methods for consumers to submit complaints. Consumers may file a complaint online, by phone, by fax, and by mail. Additional information on how to submit both formal and informal complaints is available on our website at:

No comments: